Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: OT: Vintage speaker score

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    The "Jensen" motor covers you pictured are the new Jensen motor covers and shouldn't be compared to anything vintage for identification purposes. The Italian company that uses the name has nothing to do with Peter Jensen's old company.

    ....... somehow Audiovox uses the Jensen name, too. Not sure how that works, as I'm pretty sure the Italian company (can't recall the name) that does the "vintage" Jensen speakers has nothing to do with Voxx Intl.

    I'd vote for Utah, but wouldn't rule something else out, either.

    I've got a pair of non-Frazier Quams....... never thought I'd see them here. I picked them up separately from each other, and they're not identical. I think one is likely newer, by a decade or so.

    Edit: I can't beleive the new Jensen sticker has the don't throw in trash symbol on it, after going to the trouble of making something that has a vintage look to it. Must be mandated in some market.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    As already said the statements you made on the bells are moot. Those aint Jensen or Celestion.

    As far as the hole different size holes the speakers are different size speakers.

    Sorry but IMHO no way anything you mentioned. While I'm only 95% sure it's Utah, I would consider the possibilities you brought up at around 5 percent

    Bells are pretty much all the same because everybody copied the old Utah parts. Utah used to be the biggest OEM in the US- the 40's and 50's non cast Altec frames were mostly sourced from Utah.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    I wasn't saying they were Jensen or Celestion, just that the bells seem to be generic so several brands can use something similar.

    The only reason I think they might not be Utahs is that no one had mentioned that Jack Frazier ever used Utah speakers directly. There's a guy, named Todd coincidently, over on the Frazier board that was Jack's sales manager from 1970 on and he did not mention Utah as a possibility. Then again, the ones he did mention have been definitively ruled out.

    I spent over an hour last night scouring net and ebay pics of vintage speakers and couldn't find one exactly like it. Actually, I did find 2, and both were from independent Frazier Manhattans.

    Not that it matters that much, just curious.

    BTW, they are still in service in front of my A5s. I can't seem to disconnect them. They really sound sweet. Now I can see why people like full-range 8" drivers, like the 755s. These are set up as a FR driver with a little help on the top with a cap and tweeter. I asked about making a proper crossover for them and was counseled to leave them as is and just replace the caps.

    20

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Yours could well be pre-70. Look for the frame- that's likely a regular model with bell cover added. But then any other speaker looking the same probably has a frame sourced from Utah.

    Possible you will never know for sure, just have to go with most probable. The people who would know are likely dead.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Did you find anything that looked like an EIA code?

    Here's a xref list: Old Speaker EIA Codes
    - Mike

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    I liked the sound of these speakers so much I bought some spare Frazier drivers on the bay for $10/ea. They cleaned up nicely and seem OK.

    Just curious, what are the chokes for? Is that part of the XOer? Can I trash them if I'm using them in another application?

    I disconnected one side from each speaker and measured the DCR...both are 7.4 exactly.

    18

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Not chokes. Those are constant voltage trannies likely 70 volt- T-10 probably means 10 watt tranny. You should trash them period. Or better, recyle as they have zero worth.

    Constant-voltage speaker system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Not chokes. Those are constant voltage trannies likely 70 volt- T-10 probably means 10 watt tranny. You should trash them period. Or better, recyle as they have zero worth.

    Constant-voltage speaker system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yep, it says 70V on the label. They being trashed as we speak. I'm going to mount the drivers and see what they sound like. I've come to discover I like vintage paper. This could be habit forming.

  9. #19
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    Yep, it says 70V on the label. They being trashed as we speak.
    i don't feel they should be trashed.

    i've found quite a few uses for these.

    I'm going to mount the drivers and see what they sound like. I've come to discover I like vintage paper. This could be habit forming.
    more experimentation is a good thing ....

    ``````````````````````````````````````````

    a4a47510a09c2d49678bc083317e4046 bigger
    guns kill people,

    like spoons made rush limbaugh,

    fat ....

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Vintage speaker score


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Vintage speaker score

    Those were likely ceiling speakers. Always thought the best of them might work well in open baffles with a sub.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tomt View Post
    i've found quite a few uses for these.



    more experimentation is a good thing ....

    ``````````````````````````````````````````

    forums
    Piezo tweets are voltage devices essentially. Always wondered what effect using a 70v tranny backwards- 8ohm side to an xover, high voltage side to the tweet array- would have. from my neanderthal level math the 25v tranny looked better..
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.